Movie Theatres

Music in films at Swedish cinemas.

Listed as Distribution Category 15 in the royalty statement from STIM.

Where does the money come from?

The movie theatres owners pay royalties to STIM.

How is the music reported?

Sveriges Biografägareförbund reports statistics on income per film shown. Cue sheets from performing rights organizations in other countries, and from film producers, report the musical content of the films. (A cue sheet is a list of music titles used in a film, along with the copyright holders and a statement of how long each title was played.)

How is the money distributed?

In accordance with statistics and cue sheets. Film music yields royalties under grade A and is shown as a separate item in the royalty document. The money is distributed to films that have ticket revenues of over SEK 20,000 per quarter. 

When is the money paid?

Quarterly (March, June, September and December). Each payment includes what was performed six months earlier.

How can I file a claim/complaint?

Log into My Pages, and complete the form  "Övriga reklamationer" (Other claims) under Claim. A claim must be filed within three months of receiving the royalty information from STIM.