Licensing music for shops and other sales areas

Music creates a pleasant atmosphere for your customers. Carefully selected music can encourage customers to consume more, or help them relax.

You need a music licence from STIM to play music at your place of business. This applies no matter if you play music streaming from the internet, from a radio, CD player, hard drive or any other type of music source - or if you have a TV on the premises. The person who runs the business is responsible for obtaining the licence.

Where does the money go?

The money we collect from licensees is individually distributed to the music creators and music publishers. STIM is owned by the right holders and operates with support of Swedish the copyright legislation


The annual fee is SEK 1,910 for playing background music on a daily basis in a shop with up 200 sq.m. of sales space.

Shopping Centre

You need a music licence if you play music in the common areas of the  shopping centre, for example outside shops, in lifts, parking garages or on pedestrian malls and squares. The licence for common areas is not valid for the shopping centre's individual shops - they must obtain their own licence if they play music for their customers.

The annual fee is SEK 7,641 for playing background music on a daily basis in a shopping centre with up to 1,000 sq.m. of sales space.

For isolated events with live music and mechanical background music, the fee is SEK 572 per day for a maximum of 500 visitors.

The fee for playing music in parking garages is based on the number of parking spaces. The annual fee for a garage with up to 200 parking spaces is SEK 1,933.

Trade fairs

A trade fair organiser is responsible for obtaining a music licence from Stim to give their exhibitors the opportunity to play music at their stands. Music can be played in the trade fair's common areas as well as at the individual exhibition stands.