Music in theatres

Music encompasses us in our everyday living, making it a natural feature of theatre performances. STIM offers a music licence that allows incidental music and music during intervals to be played during theatre performances.

You need a music licence from STIM when using protected music in a theatre performance. The licence gives you permission to use individual musical works as incidental music and during intervals.

The license is not valid for music that is specially composed for the performance, or music that is of decisive importance for the play or to move the plot forward. A special licence from the author or the author's publishing company is needed for that type of music use.  For further information and to obatain a license, please contact our Customer Service.

Revues and cabarets

Here you can find information if you are interested in a license for revues or cabarets.


The STIM music licence fee is based on music play time and the number of people in the audience. For a play with 11-20 minutes of music and 200 people in the audience, the fee is SEK 158 per performance.

Where does the money go?

The money we collect from licensees is individually distributed to the music creators and music publishers. STIM is owned by the right holders and operates with support of the Swedish copyright legislation.